Tri-Rail Respect the Rails
Tri-Rail is committed to providing a safe, reliable, and convenient passenger rail service. With safety being top priority, Tri-Rail has launched its Respect the Rails initiative to raise awareness about safe practices around railroad crossings and train tracks.
If you see any suspicious activity, it is imperative that you contact the SFRTA/Tri-Rail Public Safety Coordination Center at 1-844-200-SAFE (7233), available 24 hours a day. In addition, if you are certain that you are witnessing a crime taking place, it is always a safe bet to call 9-1-1.
Here are a few safety reminders and facts for you to know:
- It can take a mile or more for a train to stop.
- Trains overhang the tracks by at least three feet in both directions – so if you are in the right-of- way next to the track, you can be hit by the train.
- Do not cross the tracks immediately after a train passes, a second train could be on the way.
- Flashing red lights indicate a train is approaching, do not cross the tracks until the lights have stop flashing and it’s safe to do so.
- Do not attempt to drive around a crossing gate.
- Selfie and photo shoots on train tracks are illegal and can have deadly consequences.